An home made coconut oil have the same quality and taste as the commercials. And even better!
All you have to do is to follow this simple steps:
- Remove your coconut flesh from the Shell.
- Shred/grate into small pieces with a food processor/knife/grater.
- Blend into paste as you would for coconut rice but use warm water.
- Squeeze out the milk into a bowl. Soak the chaff in warm water and leave for like 15 mins, then squeeze into your bowl.
- Repeat this step more than twice or until the chaff doesn’t have coconut taste. Do not use too much water.
- Pour the liquid in a bowl and put it in a freezer for 3 hours or fridge for up to 10 hours or overnight as you wish or time permits. Afterwards you’ll clearly see the milk separate itself from the water provided your bowl is transparent. The cream will float on top of the water in the bowl.
- Scoop out your cream into a pot and on low heat, begin to cook and constantly stir with a spoon or spatula. After about 5 mins, the oil will become visible and the cream begins to form tiny crumbs and oil.
- Allow it to cool and strain. Your coconut oil is ready! The aroma is great and and the crumbs too can be used to eat rice.
NB: Dark shell coconut tends to yield more oil.